Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with questions about risk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Newbie with questions about risk

    I'm a light smoker, but I've wanted to try dip for a little while. I wanted to know-what are the real risks of dipping a few times a week, no more than once every couple days? I control my nicotine cravings pretty well but I still really enjoy smoking. Is dip safer than smoking, cancer-wise? What side effects have you noticed with moderate dip usage? Thanks in advance for any help.

    #2
    Why not try snus?

    Comment


      #3
      I want to, but I also want to have some variety and experiment with flavors.

      Comment


        #4
        Snus is by far the best option health-wise of all oral tobaccos out there with no measurable cancer risk according to the most current research available. Dip will tear your gums up with prolonged use and does not meet the strict purity standards required of snus.

        That said dipping is far FAR safer than smoking. I would go with snus (especially for long term regular use....also there is no spitting with snus)........but the occasional dip use that you mentioned in your OP should not be a problem.

        Hope this helps
        When it's my time to go, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my uncle did....... Not screaming in terror like his passengers

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Snusdog
          Snus is by far the best option health-wise of all oral tobaccos out there with no measurable cancer risk according to the most current research available. Dip will tear your gums up with prolonged use and does not meet the strict purity standards required of snus.

          That said dipping is far FAR safer than smoking. I would go with snus (especially for long term regular use....also there is no spitting with snus)........but the occasional dip use that you mentioned in your OP should not be a problem.

          Hope this helps
          This!

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks, this helps. I plan to keep it moderate.

            Comment


              #7
              I think you'll be ok

              Comment


                #8
                Dip can be kind of hit or miss as far as cancer risk goes. I've known guys to have problems after a very short time, and I've known guys who dip 2 cans of Copenhagen snuff per day and wind up with nothing more than gator lip.
                Still, I agree with everyone else that snus is your best option. Dip can be a nice treat every once in a while, but don't make it your go-to tobacco. It's way too risky.

                Comment


                  #9
                  My dentist hates dipping and he noticed within seconds of an exam I had been dipping Skoal last year; and gave me a lengthy sermon on the cancer risks.

                  He has no clue I use portion snus over the last two exams. So evidently the damage to the inside of your mouth from dip is much more glaring than snus, at least portion snus in my case.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by pouchface
                    Dip can be kind of hit or miss as far as cancer risk goes. I've known guys to have problems after a very short time, and I've known guys who dip 2 cans of Copenhagen snuff per day and wind up with nothing more than gator lip.
                    Still, I agree with everyone else that snus is your best option. Dip can be a nice treat every once in a while, but don't make it your go-to tobacco. It's way too risky.
                    I would be one of those 2 cans of cope a day guys. Except it was long cut straight mostly instead of snuff. Every once in a while when i get a can and go through it in a day and my mouth the next morning makes me wonder how the hell i lived life like that for 6 years.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Riggins44
                      My dentist hates dipping and he noticed within seconds of an exam I had been dipping Skoal last year; and gave me a lengthy sermon on the cancer risks.

                      He has no clue I use portion snus over the last two exams. So evidently the damage to the inside of your mouth from dip is much more glaring than snus, at least portion snus in my case.
                      My dentist is an old indian guy. His "last" name he uses for his practice is seriously just one of his like 15 middle names that sounds most american. He was very strange, had minor problems with dippers but he HATED gum chewers. Anyways since i switched to snus he keeps telling me everytime my mouth is the best he's ever seen it (since i started dipping at 14.) Usually afterwards i'll celebrate with a can of skoal peach. Can't seem to find skoal apple or anything that was fruity and i liked anymore in gas stations. So yeah mouth irritation must be incredibly low with snus since mine has never mentioned anything either.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Thunder_Snus
                        My dentist is an old indian guy. His "last" name he uses for his practice is seriously just one of his like 15 middle names that sounds most american. He was very strange, had minor problems with dippers but he HATED gum chewers. Anyways since i switched to snus he keeps telling me everytime my mouth is the best he's ever seen it (since i started dipping at 14.) Usually afterwards i'll celebrate with a can of skoal peach. Can't seem to find skoal apple or anything that was fruity and i liked anymore in gas stations. So yeah mouth irritation must be incredibly low with snus since mine has never mentioned anything either.
                        Agreed. My corner store ran out of general so I picked up some klondike wintergreen instead, and man can you tell a difference. Snus never seemed to have any effect on my lips or gums, but the klondike is making the inside of my cheek feel like gorilla tape. It's a tasty treat for sure, but I can't wait until I get my hands on some more snus.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Thunder_Snus
                          My dentist is an old indian guy. His "last" name he uses for his practice is seriously just one of his like 15 middle names that sounds most american. He was very strange, had minor problems with dippers but he HATED gum chewers. Anyways since i switched to snus he keeps telling me everytime my mouth is the best he's ever seen it (since i started dipping at 14.) Usually afterwards i'll celebrate with a can of skoal peach. Can't seem to find skoal apple or anything that was fruity and i liked anymore in gas stations. So yeah mouth irritation must be incredibly low with snus since mine has never mentioned anything either.
                          Oh yeah, I miss the Skoal long cut different flavors and there is something to be said for the whole experience of it, but after the dentist trip that day I checked my gum where I kept the dip and it was like white in a grotesque way like a pruned finger from too much water, and sore also. So the dentist was right at least in terms of visible effect, and he won't let up on it, has hideous pictures of facial reconstruction he tries to get you to look at, I mean over the top. He's an older guy, one of those guys who just shakes his head and lets out these big sighs the rest of the appointment.
                          ....And he must make notes of it because he actually mentioned it next trip that I must have stopped. He's a good dentist, so I put up with it.

                          Another thing that I find odd: I still snuck cigs with Skoal no matter how much I stuffed in my gum in a day, never with real Snus.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by pouchface
                            Agreed. My corner store ran out of general so I picked up some klondike wintergreen instead, and man can you tell a difference. Snus never seemed to have any effect on my lips or gums, but the klondike is making the inside of my cheek feel like gorilla tape. It's a tasty treat for sure, but I can't wait until I get my hands on some more snus.
                            The maybe 4 times a year i'll get a can of dip i'll go through it in a few hours. The next morning I can put my finger at the corner of my bottom lip drag it across to the other side and theres a whole bunch of dead skin (i think) stuck to it. Very disgusting. Interestingly enough the same thing happens when i eat lay's salt n vinegar chips. They're so damn tasty though

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X